Sunday, October 21, 2012

Rocketing to the top of the genre, and a new release!

I haven’t done a lot of blogging lately – really busy with writing, work, and the family. But I wanted to check in today and give an update on my series Nine Weeks of Halloween Horror.

First, for the rest of today (Sunday, Oct. 21 – until roughly midnight Pacific time), you can download my story, The Dark Secret of Warren House, absolutely free at Amazon.com. Amazon has a program called KDP Select, and writers who enroll their work in that program for 90 days have the opportunity to offer the work for free, up to 5 days during the 90-day period, as a promotional tool. (The down side to KDP Select is that you can’t sell your e-book through any other provider, such as Barnes and Noble or Kobo, during the 90 days).

The idea behind giving the work away for free is to hopefully attract new readers who enjoy your freebie so much they seek out other work you’ve written. Some of the more successful Amazon authors also tell me they sometimes see a bump in sales for the freebie after the work comes off of free promotional status.

I have had Warren House on free promo for Oct. 20 and Oct. 21, and it has skyrocketed to #2 among freebies in the horror genre (#324 overall among ALL freebies in any genre). The story has even climbed ahead of work by uber-indie writer (and now Big 6 author) Amanda Hocking, horror luminary Kealan Patrick Burke, well-known horror writer Christopher Fulbright.

The trick, of course, will be turning this into paid sales for Warren House and my other works after the free promo ends today. Again, chatting with more successful authors, this was once a given in the world of Amazon publishing, but because of changes in how Amazon does business and ranks work, some writers tell me once the free promotion ends, few, if any sales, take place. Others say it still gives a nice little bump for a few days.

I suppose I’ll see this week – as I said way back when I first published my novel Claiming Moon at the start of August, this is all one grand experiment for me.

The second bit of news, and I hope this doesn’t get swallowed up in all the talk of the promotion work, is that my eighth work in the series, A Mother’s Love, is now available for purchase at Amazon, for just 99 cents.

As I’ve published this series, I’ve said many times I think there will be something for everyone in these tales I’m publishing – zombies, a unique look at werewolves, a haunted house, and some dark humor. I’ve also said if a person was only going to purchase two or three of the series, I had definite suggestions along those lines.

A Mother’s Love is one of those (Patron Saint and The Journal were my other picks, although readers seem to have taken a liking to Warren House even before the freebie). A Mother’s Love has what I call the wicked factor. Not necessarily scary, as I think some of the tales are, but I think A Mother’s Love is one that will hit you in the gut, and stay with you a long while after you’re done reading.

So take a look at A Mother’s Love. It’s just 99 cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment