Friday, July 14, 2023

My Reading List: The Look-Alike, by Erica Spindler

In my last post, I told you part of my return to writing fiction was to read a few modern novels in my chosen genres -- crime thrillers and horror.

I did a bit of internet sleuthing, came across the name Erica Spindler as a best-selling crime thriller writer, and I picked up one of her more recent novels -- The Look-Alike. I'm glad I chose this one to read.

Before I go any further, I'll just say I never know exactly how to go about reviewing a book. I keep thinking of my elementary or middle school days, trying to write a book report that's supposed to give the essence of the story without actually reproducing the story. And now, as an adult, I'm keenly aware that no one wants any spoilers to a book review, so I'm going to be pretty brief. 

The main character in the novel, Sienna Scott, is returning home after a ten-year absence, when her father sent her away to help her recover from being traumatized from being the closest thing to a witness that was available to a cold, bloody murder in her town. A murder that claimed the life of a young lady who looked much like Sienna.

Now, she's returned -- confidant, grown up, ready to restart her life in her hometown while perhaps starting a new business venture. There's plenty of baggage to return to, with a mother suffering from a mental illness and a brother who is not quite all that he seems to be. Add to that the fact that more and more clues seem to indicate perhaps she was the original target (and may yet be targeted by the killer) a new love-interest who my turn out to be the murderer, as well as a law enforcement officer who worked the original murder case exhibiting an unhealthy interest in Sienna, and you have a really well-constructed who-done-it thriller.

One of the things I appreciate about this story is how, at times, the author can flip back and forth, between present-day and a decade earlier, when the murder took place. I find it a challenge, as a writer, to bounce back and forth like this, telling a story from two different time periods, but Spindler does it well.

Another aspect of this novel I appreciate is how Sienna's mother is dealing with a mental illness -- how it affects the mom's life, and even more how it is always a dark presence affecting the lives of all of the family. Spindler adds this as an integral plot point, one that becomes important to the story, and shows in a realistic way how mental illness affects the entire family, without being a contrived plot point.

All in all, this was an enjoyable book (though I'm still a little flummoxed over the fate of a rotisserie chicken that seemed to be shoved aside and forgotten at one point -- rotisserie chickens are not to be trifled with or forgotten in my book). I will definitely be picking up and reading more by Erica Spindler.

As for horror fans, I'll next be talking about The Hollow Kind by Andy Davidson. Until then, as always, thanks for stopping by and reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment